Thursday 2 November 2017

Inheritance



Josh and I stopped using paper towel. The transition has been easier for me then Josh because I didn't grow up using it. Josh is wonderfully supportive and is totally willing to make this adjustment. Like all the other adjustments we have made toward a more sustainable lifestyle it takes a week or so and then it becomes a new normal, it's suprisingly easy once you make the initial step.

We have replaced the paper towel with cotton dishcloths. I make my own dishcloths and have been doing this for years. It is an easy way to save money. The ones I create are durable and beautiful. I usually make them while I watch a movie to give my hands something to do. Because I make them myself the only waste I create is the recyclable paper that is wrapped around the yarn when I buy it. I learned to knit them when I was nine. 

I have spent most of my life watching and then emulating people. Especially my Grandma. 

Through out the last months it has become increasingly evident that she was a powerhouse of influence. In my life and my families. Her and my Grandpa left us a legacy of faith, work ethic, and family. 

She was an avid knitter. Creating sweaters, socks, and dishcloths for everyone in her family. She taught me and my cousin Naomi to make dishcloths when we were nine. She guided us through the motions. I will never forget how it felt to sit in her TV room, watching Anne of Green Gables, and struggling with some yarn. Her hands were swift and perfect. Mine were slow and childish. 

I still make dishcloths. I still create the same thing she made. She used to supply my mothers linen cupboard with as many dishcloths as she needed, and now I have taken that role.

I hold this skill dear to my heart. It is my little piece of her. 

I honour her by using this skill to bless others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Christmas

Holy Christmas my dudes. I love/hate Christmas. I like fires, and snacks, and friends, and giving gifts, and getting gifts, train sets, e...