Friday 17 November 2017

rot and new habits



Living in Calgary is pretty awesome for moving toward zero waste. There is a really good recycling program and now there is a wonderful compost program! I was so stoked to hear about this program as most of the waste I was still creating was food waste and compostable items! The program began in more suburban neighbourhoods and I live in an apartment building so unfortunately I couldn't participate easily. BUT MY BUILDING GOT COMPOST AND I'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT IT!

I love seeing the massive difference between my the garbage I throw out compared to when I wasn't composting! It's so incredibly easy to compost, if it is food it can be composted. So many other things can be composted as well and it is so easy! It takes a while to get into the habit of separating your trash but the slight inconvenience is worth it when you consider the difference it can make!

(sorry about the qual of the photos today. I took them on my phone. It's actually fine. I don't know why I'm apologizing)

ALSO!!



After several months of practicing waste free grocery shopping Im actually getting better at it! I had to do an unexpected run for a few things tonight and was able to do it without using any plastic bags and I am really stoked about that! It's so easy to shop and not use plastic bags! I clean my veggies before I eat them and therefore can just place them in my basket and not into those small plastic bags that feel weird! The bag my mushrooms came in can be composted! The glass bottle the sweet chill sauce came in could either be reused or recycled! Because I have been planning and practicing and making mistakes for months I now know what I can do, I know my resources, and I'm comfortable with a new way of shopping. I'm pretty proud of myself and I wanted to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Christmas

Holy Christmas my dudes. I love/hate Christmas. I like fires, and snacks, and friends, and giving gifts, and getting gifts, train sets, e...