Thursday 11 January 2018

teeth



As you already know I have been making my own toothpaste. I am used to the taste now and actually really appreciate being able to make such a staple. It's cheap and zero waste, my two favourite things. I love that I know exactly whats in it and how it's made.

But until now I had still been using a plastic tooth brush. If you replace your toothbrush once a month  starting from when you are three then by the time you are 50 you have replaced it upwards of 500 times. (it took me a long time to do that math because that's not how my brain works but I think it's right) That waste just chills in a land fill or ends up in the ocean killing my friends, the fish. I've been thinking about that for awhile, everyday while I brush my teeth, how I have been making my own toothpaste but I still use a plastic toothbrush. I filed that away in my 'deal with this later' part of my brain.

One solution is to stop brushing my teeth. Because we all know that isn't practical and its gross so it's not gonna happen.  Some people also 'oil pull' but I tried it and almost threw up, so that's a no go.



This Christmas my sister gave me a sweet gift, a bamboo toothbrush! Which is wonderful on many levels. It came in simple, recyclable packaging. Often, even products meant to help reduce waste, are packaged in layers upon layers of plastic. It's an oxymoron. So the fact that this toothbrush comes in recyclable packaging is lovely! It is also really beautiful. It's a sleek design, it makes me happy when I see it. I love things that are functional and beautiful and this toothbrush is both of those. In addition to the packaging, and the beauty the whole thing is compostable because it is made of bamboo! Instead of throwing out packages made of plastic, a toothbrush made of plastic, and a having an ugly toothbrush I now use a sustainable, beautiful, compostable toothbrush.

https://brushnaked.com is the company my toothbrush is from. There are nylon and plant based bristles, different colours, and affordable. They also make charcoal activated toothpaste! (this isn't an ad) I like mine so far. Before I buy a new one I will research some more brands and let you know what brand I decide to use.

For now, I'm very excited about a new toothbrush!

1 comment:

Holy Christmas

Holy Christmas my dudes. I love/hate Christmas. I like fires, and snacks, and friends, and giving gifts, and getting gifts, train sets, e...