Friday 22 September 2017

Bulk Barn aka my new best friend

I went to bulk barn. In my reading I found that most 'zero waste' enthusiast shop bulk with their own jars. The idea of doing a whole shopping trip and bringing enough jars and cloth bags and produce bags seemed very intimidating to me. I didn't know how many jars I would need, I didn't know where exactly to buy things bulk. 

Earlier this week I had a small trip of errands to run. I needed three things: milk, trail mix, and icing sugar. A good practice run. 

I tried to find a way to buy milk that is totally waste free and most of the places I looked said to make your own. I am pretty stoked about zero waste, but Josh and I drink milk at an astronomical rate and if I had to make us milk I would never stop making milk. The two litre jugs are recyclable and thats good enough to me. If I ever try to make my own milk I will let you all know. I probably won't.

While at superstore picking up milk I saw some sweet mason jars, they were also on sale, and I bought them. They are wide mouth ones, a bit bigger then the ones I had to pick up trail mix with. I am very excited about them because I might try to make soup in a jar for work. That's another story, moving on. 

Next stop was Bulk Barn. Which I already think is a wonder land. Using jars are super easy! All I had to do was to bring the two jars I wanted to fill to the lady at the front, she weighed them and put a sticker with the weight on the lid. Then all I had to do was walk around, fill my jars, and then take them to the front. It's only one extra step and I am not collecting two plastic bags that will just be thrown out! I love it. 

To me going 'zero waste' is not about creating no waste as well as no recycling. But to actually recycle my recycling. I learned that to day while figuring out how to buy milk. I put another bag under my sink for recycling, that way it is just as easy for me to recycle. 

I also learned that it is one more step in my shopping trip to reduce the amount of trash I create! I also really enjoy using jars and figuring out how many I'll need and using produce bags because it feels like a puzzle! I am loving this adventure.

1 comment:

  1. You'd like Nova Scotia :) They make you recycle everything! And have clear garbage bags so they can check. Regards, the only things that go in our trash are the styrofoam trays that meat comes in. PS. 4L milk jugs are also recyclable.

    ReplyDelete

Holy Christmas

Holy Christmas my dudes. I love/hate Christmas. I like fires, and snacks, and friends, and giving gifts, and getting gifts, train sets, e...