Friday 29 September 2017

What I Carry


Since I have decided to pursue a reducing waste life style I have been rethinking a lot of the things I do everyday.  
I used to not carry anything with me. Just my wallet, and phone.So when I went out for coffee I would get once per use items. When I ate food I would usually end up with disposable  forks and spoons. And I used a bazillion different Kleenexes. So I reevaluated how/what I should cary with me everyday. 

My thought is that if I come prepared everyday with the basics I need I won't create as much waste. I don't notice the amount of waste I create it just disappears into a large bin outside, or at the place I bought it. So I decided to be more aware and to start carrying a few basics with me. 

My bag is a hilarious cotton tote, with a jazz festival ad on it from 1996, it made me laugh so I bought it. Now I use it as a purse and it's perfect.



Here are a few things I carry around in my bag now:
-A spoon/fork combo. It's not a spork but it serves the same purpose

-I carry a large cloth. I bought it at ten thousand villages and it was meant to be a gift wrap. I use it as a napkin, a spare cloth bag (by tying the corners), or as a hankie.
-Either a nice to-go mug I got from Starbucks for a dollar, or a sturdy thermos. It depends on what I anticipate the day will bring.

-Sometimes I carry a reusable straw with me. 
-I also try to bring a Nalgene water bottle with me. Hydration is important! 
-For our wedding we were given some reusable produce bags and I carry one of those around with me in case I stop by a grocery store to grab a couple things.
-I also carry my keys and a hair tie


These things all take up about half of my bag, so I can use it to put things I purchase, so I don't have to take a plastic bag with me. It takes a tiny bit more effort but I like being able to use my own things and to avoid landfall waste. 


A lot of these ideas I got from other blogs or youtube videos. I plan on creating a post with a list of some of them so you can see my sources and see what it looks like when you've been living waste free for longer then a month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Christmas

Holy Christmas my dudes. I love/hate Christmas. I like fires, and snacks, and friends, and giving gifts, and getting gifts, train sets, e...